Ulanów History


This “city” was near the village of Beelynee which was known from the 1500’s.  Jews lived in this village which was on the banks of the San River.  In 1616, Stanislav Olsinki “owned” the village.  He had the rights from the King to establish in the area of Beelynee a city.  This city was called Uleeina.  It seems that the name was changed to Ulanów in the early 19th century.  In 1627, there was a “Sandler’s” (shoemakers) Guild that regulated the sales of shoes and restricted the sale of shoes by non guild members.  The city suffered from the Tartars even in the early 17th century.  Many were killed or captured by the Cossacks.  In 1627, there were two churches and one synagogue.

In the 18th and 19th centuries their main income came from the San River.  The first Jews appeared to settle the area of Ulanów when it was still known as Beelynee.  Jews were among the founders of the city after 1616.

In the decrees of 408 and 409, the Jewish settlement ended because they were all killed.  The Jewish settlement again increased in the 18th century.  In 1765, there were 47 Jewish homes in the city.  Most of the Jews were salesmen, had inns, or dealt with glass... Eleven Jews had other occupations; seven were workers, 2 were tailors, potters and barbers, four were religious functionaries.

In 1781, the Jews could not afford to pay their home taxes.  The community had to pay 250 “plornim” (?) for each family.  It seems the same seven families still lived there until 1800.  The Jewish community grew until the 1800’s.  Most of the family’s heads were peddler, small businesses, and workers.  In 1828, they established a load fund for the poor, which gave 50 loans totaling 3852 Zlotys.  The community was a Chassidic center.  The community started to decline with people moving to larger cities and other countries.  Around World War I, the Jewish population was halved.  Many died during WWI because of hard work and lack of sufficient food.  Their homes and businesses were looted during the war.  Anti-Semitism was increasing and in 1905 the Jews were falsely charged with denigrating the cross that stood in the road.  In 1918, there were pogroms.  The number of Jews and their various occupations are listed for the year 1920 (eg.  38 hired workers, 28 tailoring establishments).

This above information was loosely translated into English by Darla Stone from an article written in Hebrew.  It is reprinted here with the permission of Darla Stone.


© Copyright 2017 Kolbuszowa Region Research Group. All rights reserved.

Web Master: Neil Emmer
Coordinator: Susana Leistner Bloch

Compiled by Neil Emmer.

Back to Ulanów Main Page